*This programme is currently closed to new applications. Please check back soon.*
Are you a social scientist, or a small team of social scientists, who are passionate about innovation and want to encourage others to get involved?
Would you like an opportunity to lead a programme of activity to create culture change in your department and across the social sciences?
Could you be our next ambassador for social science innovation, advocating for business engagement, commercialisation and entrepreneurship for the social sciences both within the University and externally?
We are looking to invest funding in up to four creative and enthusiastic Fellows (or small teams) to be advocates for innovation and help drive an inclusive, supportive culture of innovation among social sciences researchers at the University of Oxford. The Innovation Fellowships will run until 31 March 2023.
In the current research funding climate, innovation is becoming an increasingly important component of research activity. By funding a cohort of Fellows whose main objectives are to a) advocate for innovation, and b) provide us with academic input and leadership for new initiatives, we hope to create a step-change in innovation activities in the social sciences, making it easier for researchers to engage in innovation and to make it a more valued part of research. The aim of the Innovation Fellowship Programme is to support academic-led culture change. This is a great opportunity for someone to get involved at this stage of our journey, especially those keen to develop leadership, change management and advocacy skills.
Proposals are therefore sought from researchers to lead, support, and facilitate culture change within their departments; with the aspiration that innovation becomes an increasingly valued and recognised activity for social sciences researchers. Fellows will be expected to organise and/or lead a programme of activities and act as ambassadors and advocates for innovation within the University and externally. This is a flexible opportunity and we welcome creative approaches.
The new Fellows will join our two previous Oxford Innovation Fellows and will work closely with those identified by some of our Aspect partner universities (Glasgow, Edinburgh, Cardiff, and Sussex) to form a cohort of Innovation Fellows. They will lead the development of a network of those interested in sharing good practice, and ideas around innovation across the Social Sciences Division. Administrative support will be provided by the division’s Innovation Network and Events Co-ordinator.
Responsibilities of Innovation Fellows
• Advocate for innovation, research commercialisation, business engagement and/ or entrepreneurship at the department and divisional level, soliciting views and opinions from the wider research community. This may also mean acting as a spokesperson at divisional groups and committees.
• Help drive an inclusive, supportive culture of innovation in your department the Division and the wider University.
• Provide academic input and leadership into thinking around innovation and new initiatives.
• Liaise and network with others with an interest in innovation in departments, other divisions and beyond the University.
• Run a programme of events/ activities, including workshops, training, seminars.
• Work with the divisional Research, Impact and Engagement team to develop materials explaining the value proposition around social sciences for businesses.
• Attend Aspect academic cohort meetings (c. every 6-8 weeks) and events (approx. 5 over the course of the year)
• Meet regularly with the cohort from across the partner HEIs for specific sessions, which may include: professional development, the 'Research Venturers Model, and evaluation, including potentially contributing to the Aspect annual event, and producing materials for the Aspect partnership (e.g. podcasts, vlogs, etc).