The team provide a broad level of support that looks more like a ‘business partner’ arrangement.
Divisional Finance Managers will each be linked to 4 departments where they will provide Finance support and also be a focal point for the divisional/departmental finance relationship. For your information this departmental split will be as follows;
Jonathan's primary responsibility is to support the finances of the Divisional Office.
I would expect the DFMs’ primary contacts to be with you and your Finance Managers and for that interaction to be along the following lines:
• To support the Division’s budgeting, forecasting and planning activity, ensuring an appropriate level of scrutiny and challenge, as necessary.
• Ensure effective monthly controls, reporting and analysis is in place, and that appropriate action is taken as a result.
• Develop and enhance departmental reporting processes through improved management information
• Effective sharing of best practice
• To support departments in responding appropriately to control weaknesses, as identified through, for example, self-assurance processes or audit findings.
• To undertake financial planning and analysis in support of decision-making in departments. To include for example, the preparation of business cases, scenario modelling, capital planning etc.
• To help identify and deliver finance process improvements.
• To provide a level of professional finance support and guidance to existing finance staff within departments.
• To offer sound guidance to departments on ways of maximising resources by developing a detailed understanding of each department’s non-research and research activities, as well as of the University’s financial structure and resource allocation mechanisms.